Healthy Recipes For The Holiday Season
November 30, 2020
We are smack dab in the middle of another holiday season!
Even with more zoom meet ups and smaller gathering this year, festive food is still a must do! Nobody likes to be stuck in the kitchen when we can enjoy a bit more time to relax, renew, and reenergize for a new year ahead.
We have 3 easy recipes to save you time in the kitchen, but still provide delicious and nutritious food to celebrate! No food coma with an overload of buttery carbs, just hearty, unique, and delicious food to bring people together (even if its virtual).
How about the make ahead breakfast casserole with sweet potatoes and goat cheese for a breakfast or brunch? The ruby red jewels of a pomegranate will add some extra bling to a healthy holiday salsa! To round out the recipes we added a light and heart-healthy salmon recipe to keep the taste buds happy! We pulled these recipes from 3 favorite websites that are user friendly, and full of great ideas. Let us know what you think…
Cheers to a Happy and Healthy 2021! May we all have more gatherings and time to dance together again!
Roasted Salmon with Citrus Salsa Verde
Paprika gives smoky, spicy balance to bright citrus and herb flavors. If your paprika has been hanging out in the back of the spice cabinet for longer than six months, though, it might be time to start fresh.
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced into rings
- Finely grated zest from 1 orange, divided
- Finely grated zest from 1 lemon, divided
- 1 Tbsp. plus ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. salmon fillet, preferably wild
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- Fresh juice from 1 orange
- Fresh juice from 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 250°. Combine shallot, half of orange zest, half of lemon zest, and 1 Tbsp. oil in a small baking dish just large enough to fit salmon. Season salmon with salt and coat with zest mixture. Bake fish until fillet is just opaque in the center and flakes with a fork, 30–35 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix cilantro, parsley, garlic, paprika, remaining zests, and ½ cup oil in a medium bowl. Stir in orange and lemon juice and season citrus salsa verde with salt just before spooning over fish.
Recipe from Bonappetit.com
Black Bean, Pomegranate & Avocado Salsa
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained 2 cups pomegranate arils
1 small jalapeño minced, seeds removed
¼ cup red onion chopped
¼ cup cilantro chopped
1 large avocado diced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Tortilla chips for serving
In a medium bowl, combine black beans, pomegranate arils, jalapeño, onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Gently stir. Serve with tortilla chips.
Note-This salsa is best the day is made.
Recipe from Twopeasandtheirpod.com
Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Goat Cheese Egg Casserole
- 1 Nonstick avocado oil cooking spray
- 6 ounces lean breakfast sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red or green sweet pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 5 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1 ½ cups roasted sweet potatoes
- 8 large eggs eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese (chèvre) (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 4-qt. baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet cook sausage over medium 5 to 7 minutes or until browned, breaking up meat as it cooks. Remove from skillet; drain off fat.
- In same skillet heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, sweet pepper and garlic; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the water, stirring to scrape up crusty brown bits. Add spinach; cook 2 minutes or until wilted. Stir in cooked sausage and sweet potatoes. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish
- In a large bowl combine eggs, egg whites, dry mustard, crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt. Pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set (160 degrees Fahrenheit). Top with cheese and green onion. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Eatingwell.com